I am always, always overdressed. The other day I wore a black, bodycon Express dress to go to the supermarket. Yeah, it’s that bad. Because of this tendency towards more dressy looks, I almost never wear t-shirts. But recently, after a talk with my friend Jenni, I’ve been revisiting the style staple. Jenni designs t-shirts independently through Redbubble (see her work here) and asked me for some advice on wearing t-shirts in a fashionable way. This is what I came up with:
Some tips: When trying to dress up a t-shirt, I usually avoid wearing it with jeans. Tucking your tee into a skirt, a high waisted pair of shorts, or some printed trousers will automatically take it to the next level. I also highly recommend adding jewelry. I used a statement necklace to class up the simple v-neck but a pendant necklace, an armful of bangles, or some unique earrings could work just as well.
Layer, layer, layer. Putting a jacket, blazer, or sweater over a t-shirt makes it part of an ensemble, not a stand alone piece. Here I used a blazer but I also recommend a leather jacket as an easy way to add interest to a t-shirt. See my example here. Working in a more sophisticated color pallet also helps make your t-shirt seem more fashionable. For this purpose I generally graviate towards neutrals, black, taupe, grey etc. But navy, oxblood, or forest green will do the trick as well.
Footwear is another great way to dress up a t-shirt. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to wear five inch studded heels. (Although, how gorgeous are these beauties?) I would suggest avoiding casual, sporty footwear such as sneakers, boat shoes, and Toms. Pairing your t-shirt instead with flats, heels, or boots gives it a more sophisticated, put-together look.
Blazer: TJ Maxx, Shirt: Custom (see here), Skirt: Forever21, Shoes: Steve Madden, Necklace: Forever21
You know what they say, April showers bring May flowers. Well these May flowers are a totally different breed than the usual prim and proper, pastel floral. These high waisted, abstract floral, peplum pants have become my new favorite statement piece.
Top: H&M, Pants: NastyGal, Jacket: H&M, Shoes: Payless, Bracelet: Thrifted, Ring: Forever21, Nails: Essie’s Mint Candy Apple
From left to right: 1) Sometimes only Ben and Jerry can help. 2) Pulling out my favorite floral headpiece for the summer. 3) Trying out my baking skills with homemade danishes. 4) Enjoying a popover at Popovers on the Square in Portsmouth. 5) Princess Coco on her throne. 6) A gorgeous new thrifted cuff from another Portsmouth adventure.
Knee high gladiator sandals are going to be a huge trend this summer. Now that a few celebrities have been seen wearing them, they’re flooding into the mass market. I purchased these a couple weeks ago and they are officially my favorite summer sandal.
I styled these beauties with a white lace dress and floral headband to complete the goddess/nymph/warrior princess vibe.
Dress: Courtesy of OASAP
Headpiece: Purchased in Nijmegan
For a long time I was skeptical about the sneaker wedge trend. I almost never wear sneakers in general, and although throwing a heel in them does make it more appealing to me, I still wasn’t sure. I decided to give it a try when I saw this studded version at Forever21. I must say, I like the edgy, street-style vibe they gave my outfit.
I wore a Breakfast at Tiffany’s graphic tee with this outfit to add a subtle polish to an otherwise edgy ensemble.
I’m obsessed with this nail color, it’s Essie’s Mint Candy Apple. It’s the perfect summer color.
I’m in love with the maxi silhouette this season. For many years I avoided long skirts and dresses because of my height. But this year I shed my old fashion fears and embraced this bohemian inspired trend. I bought this cranberry maxi skirt in Paris a few months ago.
Skirt: Purchased in Paris
Ring: Purchased in Toledo
From left to right: 1) Going classic with a red lip, pearls, and a sock bun. 2) I finally got my Trends and Tolstoy shirt! I’m in love. 3) Obsessed with the old fashioned sprayer on this perfume bottle. 4) Got this fabulous canvas case for my pen collection. 5) The beach is so beautiful at this time of year. 6) Sporting Essie’s Mint Candy Apple, a gorgeous shade very close to Tiffany blue.
This blue jacquard dress is one of my go-to pieces. It’s so flattering and can be changed to embody almost any image. I can wear it with a leather jacket and cage heels for some edge, or pearls and a blazer for an interview.
I often get asked what essentials I carry in my purse as a blogger and a fashionista. To be honest, what I carry in my bag varies depending on where I’m going and what I’m doing. But for this post I pared it down to the things that I absolutely always have with me.
1) This is my go-to purse. I bought it at the leather market in Florence a few months ago, and it has quickly become my favorite bag. It’s big enough to carry what I need for most occasions but small enough not to be intrusive. The cross body style also keeps my hands free and uninhibited.
2) I always carry a notebook and pen with me. I am a lover of lists. To-do lists, outfit lists, shopping lists, everything. It keeps me organized and stress free. Having a notebook is also great for sketching outfit ideas on the go.
3) My mom bought me this compact during my first trip to Paris. It’s a nice momento of both our trip and my favorite city. It’s so convenient to be able to check my hair and makeup before I go into a meeting or a job interview. This way I can make sure I always look pulled together.
4) I do a lot of commuting into Boston from my family home in New Hampshire, so these headphones are a must. Even when I’m living in the city, I like to have music when I’m walking or riding the subway. It keeps me happy and motivated during that sometimes tedious commute.
5) Like most people these days, I absolutely cannot live without my iPhone. Whether I’m making calls, answering e-mails, instagramming for my Sunday Snapshots, or editing a blog post, my phone allows me to take care of everything no matter where I am.
6) Obviously the wallet is an essential part of anyone’s purse. I like this long pink one because it doubles as a clutch for evening, and has plenty of slots for business cards I pick up during networking events.
7) I don’t wear a lot of makeup but when I do it’s important that it stays in place all day long. For that reason, I always carry with me whatever lipstick I’m wearing so that I can touch it up throughout the day.
So there you have it, an inside look at my daily essentials. Whether I’m running to a meeting or having lunch with friends, these are the things that I always take with me. What essentials do you keep in your bag?